Dissertation Experience

>> Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hello World!
Am doing my last year @uni and as in most programme, you have to do a dissertation/thesis or mémoire... and you know at the very mention of it, it just freaks you out.....you have your dissertation form to submit...
Well first thing a small recap, like you i didn’t know a thing about dissertation, how to write that, how to get that topic etc etc....if you have a module in your programme called research methods, please try to follow it attentively (not like me who was always day-dreaming in that class)....it will kinda give a glimpse of what will be waiting 4 you.....mind you am not an expert but still wanna share my experience with you...
Since last year till last month I was still reflecting on my topic, i didn’t know what to do.....I had many ideas but big ques- will I b able to make something out of it......most of my classmates had already their topic (was feeling like a first class dumbo...big panic...why me! why hadn’t still get a topic)
So guys chill out, and if you have been able to land here and reading my post (know my Google algorithm is so low LOL) hope this will be able to help you....
first thing – grab a paper and jot down all topics that you had and still like in your programme e.g crisis communication then scan the web and media (esp press) and see what new in this field and what was the recent case study..... crisis communication and suicide at France telecom....now draw out a plan from the introduction to the conclusion...what are your objectives and most important thing what is the hypothesis (I had to refer to 3-4 books to know its meaning I can be a dumbo when i want LOL) ; in a few words, it refers to a myth or assumption or theory that you wanna prove either wrong or right e.g women are coward in nature....for more info try out this link http://www.accessexcellence.org/LC/TL/filson/writhypo.php
So you already have done the first step LOL....next step talk to one of your professor or lecturer...ask him/her for advice....still high time to change topic.....another important thing try to innovate do something new...try a different angle....a dissertation is your piece of art....cos all merit will b yours...always think about your graduation day....and when you will say: I done it lol
Now if you don’t like all the blabla above, a quick recap of what waiting for you:
1) The format of a dissertation :
Title Page
Acknowledgements
Contents Page
List of Tables, Charts, and Figures
List of Symbols and Abbreviations
The Abstract
The Introduction
Literature Review
Methodology
Conclusion
Bibliography
Appendices
(more info - http://custom-writing.org/blog/writing-tips/47.html and http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/geography/undergraduate/ugdissguide05.html and http://www.learnerassociates.net/dissthes/

If you want to have some ideas about dissertation topics that might interest you try out those few links below:
*http://www.oxbridgegraduates.com/dissertations/index.php
http://masterpapers.com/dissertation.php
http://www.coursework4you.co.uk/essays-and-dissertations/index.php
http://www.coursework4you.co.uk/essays-and-dissertations/marketing/marketing.php
http://www.simonwakeman.com/2008/02/11/choosing-a-public-relations-dissertation-topic/
* Most important thing - don’t ever commit plagia or ask someone to do your dissertation
After all this, don’t forget to draw out your action plan and a time table (and adhere to it LOL), the better you are prepared the better you will be….
As far as I am concerned, finding a topic was kinda hard for me as it was not only a hypothesis to find but also about the literature review….will you have enough data to back you off…think already about that so when in the middle of your work you don’t panic….
Am still at my intro stage…am asking myself where my muse goes cos am having like a big blank LOL….for your literature review, for those who don’t like to read well better prepared yourself cos u gonna have to read so many things LOL….
Well well, I will try to give you out some tips as I go along hmmm….hopefully I will be graduated next year LOL….

Cheers

7 comments:

Gaia Eos October 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

Sorry I could not post the hyperlinks I was having some HTML error message

Shinigami October 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Web Design Bureau of Mauritius October 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM  

I don't know in which field you're doing your diploma but you have a good method. Methodology lectures are really helpful. I found out that I still use them now in my professional life for everything going from reports to calls for project. Another good trick for a dissertation is to limit (if your field allows you to) the research topic on a 5 year - 7 year basis. Idea: 5 years before + 2 years after.

This gives you enough background and up-to-date raw material and 2 years to come for your conclusion & contemporary questioning. Along with that you'll be living the period in which your discourse is situated giving you the breadth needed when you'll have to defend your paper.

Gaia Eos October 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM  

Thanks Snehta for your compliment and wishes:-)

Gaia Eos October 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

To Web Design Bureau- Thanks for the tips...well actually am in the communication field and my topic is actually on blogging LOL and you're actually right when you say to limit your research to a certain time span else it will be too time consuming:-) Cheers

Jade October 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

Hey Gaia,I've been going around your blog,wow it's pretty cool,congratulations,you're real good at it,no kidding! Well about the dissertation i think you're taking the right steps so cheer up don't stress and you'll see soon you'll be writing your last page of it...hahah I've been through it so i know what i'm talking about:) Best wishes,always yours...

Gaia Eos October 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

thank u so much Jade thats very nice of u....well hopefully will be able to write the last page ;-p

Shout Box

Twitter

Followers

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP