Dissertation Experience – Literature Review

>> Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hello World!
Well I promise some tips as I will move along the dissertation process
dissertation
I already did a draft of my intro (think will have to review later LOL) ...as my dissertation supervisor was in sick leave for one whole week, she hadn’t yet verify the intro....
Now am @my literature review...wow for me its kinda the toughest part...as its kinda the heart of the dissertation....
What’s a literature review:
90-1
Here is the definition I got from the web:
A literature review is a body of text that aims to review the critical points of current knowledge on a particular topic.
An extensive search of the information available on a topic which results in a list of references to books, periodicals, and other materials on the topic.
Research of existing articles, publications and other documents pertaining to a specific field or body of knowledge.
(source: http://www.google.mu/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Ojo&defl=en&q=define:Literature+review&ei=5lPXSt6KE9eIkQW56OjMCA&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAoQkAE)
And a link on what should compose your literature review :
http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/literature_review.html
So, in other words, your literature should compose of studies and theories based on your research topic and objectives (what you wanna demonstrate)
Where to find it:

  1. Online journal – Sage Publication
  2. Books
  3. Internet - Google Scholar and Google Books
  4. Newspapers
  5. Specialized publication etc
On the internet, please be careful as not all articles are reliable so better frame your search on Google Scholar and if you are like me (books you are looking for and not available @your uni library) try to take a glance at Google Book (not the whole book will be available and due to copyright you won’t be able to download it) but you will be able to get a or some glances at the book LOL
So what my state of mind
girl_thinking
How did I manage to acquire data…through the locations mentioned above…after having some articles…I had classified them into categories on the main theme I am going to write on…..that is helping me …..
dissertation-proposal
After completing the literature review if I had other tips, will surely write about them
Cheers

4 comments:

Web Design Bureau of Mauritius October 15, 2009 at 11:36 PM  

Funny to find SAGE here. I've mostly worked with them on the European Journal on International Relations published by my association, the Standing Group on International Relations. :-D

Gaia Eos October 16, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

wow thats super cool then LOL :-)

Kurt Avish October 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

Good you started it early. I started to work on mine in February (2nd sem) and was like a crazy searcher.

Gaia Eos October 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM  

LOL think even an early planning, dissertation kinda make you crazy :-)

Shout Box

Twitter

Followers

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP